DarkTerra.com

DarkTerra.com

• March 27, 2024, 09:10:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Complete Site redesign. New theme, new software, new Logo! Please register if you want to download the rules!  If you need to email the Admin, click here

Darkterra is a Pen and Paper role playing game, developed by avid gamers with decades of experience with a vast array of gaming systems. The system is fast paced, but realistic, and every single action can be resolved with the rolling of 2 dice. 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I had this thought...  (Read 7644 times)

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
So I had this thought...
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:06:58 AM »

What if, while the Kra' Nall were here, working on thier "Great Experiment" they discovered a couple of things about the Human race... Like,

1) Some humans have the potential for the control of non Physics based forces (Magic).

2) Buried deep in the genetic code for humans exists a blueprint, a plan if you will for other, non human races. Things like Dwarves, Elves, trolls...etc.

Now, supposing that, in the interests of maximising human devolopment, in a search for the "Perfect Servitor" they created a retrovirus or even a Nanovirus designed to bring these traits to the fore...

Then the war happened...

But the virus was already released... and some people that were born were not human... and some possessed abilities that simple mutations could not explain away,

Think GammaWorld Meets Shadowrun.

Thoughts?

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
  • Sweet frickin' Orion slave girls!
Re: So I had this thought...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 09:21:24 AM »

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

I guess, just to explain why there would still pure strain humans, it could be explained that the nanovirus or whatever didn't take to everybody due to the many genetic differentials out there.

Obviously, my DT character is the product of genetic manipulations by the Kra'Nall.  If you wanna get really nuts, they could have taken somebody with Troll genes and mixed them with one of the other "servitor races".  Talk about your mix-and-match character customization.  Of course, taking a Metarace (elf, dwarf, etc;) would have some point cost (to equalize the power level).  Each metarace would have their pluses and minuses like any game.  Heck, with 200-300 years between the time of the war and the game setting, each metarace could have their own specific culture, history, and society.  Some real potential there depending on where you want to take the game.
...And now for something completely different.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

I guess, just to explain why there would still pure strain humans, it could be explained that the nanovirus or whatever didn't take to everybody due to the many genetic differentials out there.

Or simply that some humans simply didnt have the relevant genes to bring out... /shrug either one works :)

Obviously, my DT character is the product of genetic manipulations by the Kra'Nall.

Technically all the characters are the result of that.. well, except Gils of course :)

If you wanna get really nuts, they could have taken somebody with Troll genes and mixed them with one of the other "servitor races".  Talk about your mix-and-match character customization.  Of course, taking a Metarace (elf, dwarf, etc;) would have some point cost (to equalize the power level).  Each metarace would have their pluses and minuses like any game.  Heck, with 200-300 years between the time of the war and the game setting, each metarace could have their own specific culture, history, and society.  Some real potential there depending on where you want to take the game.

Yeah, think about it, you could have an enclave of (for example) Elves, that found an old copy of LOTR, and think its a history book or something ;)

Could be fun, and could be the "something" the game needs to really set it apart.

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:27:32 AM »

Yeah, think about it, you could have an enclave of (for example) Elves, that found an old copy of LOTR, and think its a history book or something ;)

Could be fun, and could be the "something" the game needs to really set it apart.

That would be cool.  Or even that there are inherit things in the individual genetic codes that gives them genetic memory of their past, assuming you're having them come from earlier times from ancient cultures (like the Incans, Mayans, Celts, etc;).  The dwarves could try to recreate the dwarven citities of old and so on.

I think you're right about giving the game that certain "something".  It's like taking elements of Shadowrun, Gamma World, Dragonstar and Twilight 2000 but having a different ambience than those other games.  Something worth exploring.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 02:08:21 AM »

And don't ya just LOVE the way this forum software does quotes?? LOL

Anyway...

I'm going to try and write up some stuff today on this idea. I'll post it here and we can beat it to death and see how it fares.

My initial thought is that all "MetaTypes" (I think thats a Shadowrun name, so we might have to come up with another :) ) would be, technically, Physical Mutations. I can add them to that section, so you start with a Base Mutant, then take the (for example) Elf Mutation. You spend the points and note the changes on the character sheet.

Of course the mutation is more than just skin deep... but this is probably the easist way to handle it.

Thoughts?

Gil

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:02 AM »

Sorry about just now jumping in on this thread. I think the idea is good, but the buried genetic code idea is too close Shadowrun for my comfort. I think sticking with physical mutations is the best bet and it would be better to come up with a reason that large groups of the population all developed the same way. Maybe one of the aliens thought it would be interesting to mutate groups of humans along those lines.

I would also suggest making orcs, goblins, trolls and so forth come from animal genetic stock. For example, gorillas mutated into orcs and so on.

Otherwise I like the idea :)

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:32:03 AM »

Good points Gil, I like the idea of the Kra'Nall having even more of a hand in it as well. Perhaps one of the Ilt'Var got a hold of a piece of Fantasy literature, such as LOTR, and decided to see what he could do...

What you think about the magic part?

I mean, Elves just wouldnt be elves without magic :)

Gil

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:37:43 AM »

What you think about the magic part?

I mean, Elves just wouldnt be elves without magic :)
I think the magic part is doable and can be worked in, but if it stays in the sci-fi setting, would it not be more on line with the genre to be psionics instead?

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »

Actually, the more and more that I think about it, I really like introducing fantasy races into Dark Terra.  While unlike Gil, I have no problems with having metagenes encoded into some people's genetic codes and it's awakened by the machinations of the Kra'Nall.  Other than Shadowrun (I'm sure there are others), this idea is used in the Marvel Universe, the idea being that all humans have been planted with the coding to turn them into mutants or metahumans, just some reach their potential before the others.  Or in some, it is awakened by super soldier serum or radioactive spiders or gamma radiation or cosmic rays.  Just my thoughts.

As for magic, I actually would be against it's inclusion.  I know the natural inclination would be to introduce fantasy races and magic ala' Shadowrun but it seems a bit cliched or more of the same.  Psionics and mutations more than fill the void and it would seem redundant besides.  I think it would be cooler not to take that step of introducing magic but having metaraces, throwing everyone offguard.

As for implementation, I would suggest using the same model as SR and D&D.  If you wanna play a metatype, spend the points for a package (i.e. if someone wants to play an elf, they pay one price and get a +10 points to their DEX, -6 to their CON, natural lowlight, etc;) as a one time shot.  If they decide they want to add additional mutations or abilities, let them to whatever they can afford pointwise.  Make playing a metarace more costly than just picking a mutation and that should help keep it in check.  Also means you could have characters with vastly different abilities.  Real customizable.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 01:31:31 AM »

To be honest, the rules pretty much already allow for the creation of these "metaRaces" (other than pointy ears, and I can't imagine having to pay for that mutation :P ).

If we leave out magic, there really isn't any need for further rules changes... and as Jorek pointed out yesterday, Adding all this stuff gets mighty close to Rifts.

Anyway, Gil had a pretty good idea too, let's finish the rules system in place already before we start trying to port in a bunch of other stuff... LOL

/wanders off to work on Falling and Explosive damage... and make a chart for heat and one for cold... and... bleh...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal