DarkTerra.com

DarkTerra.com

• April 30, 2024, 09:00:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Complete Site redesign. New theme, new software, new Logo! Please register if you want to download the rules!  If you need to email the Admin, click here

Darkterra is a Pen and Paper role playing game, developed by avid gamers with decades of experience with a vast array of gaming systems. The system is fast paced, but realistic, and every single action can be resolved with the rolling of 2 dice. 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New feats, enhancements, mutations, etc;  (Read 5230 times)

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
  • Sweet frickin' Orion slave girls!
New feats, enhancements, mutations, etc;
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »

I thought might be good to start a thread dedicated to new enhancement or mutation creation.

I was thinking about Meg and how she doesn't usually like to play combat heavy characters.  So, how about this:  What if in character creation one of the options in the enhancement section is to spend an amount of points and say your character discovered a secret cache of knowledge (like a library or a bothole with a working computer) and was able to learn stuff not readily available to the general populace?  The amount of points spent could determine the level of knowledge and you could even break it up beyond that and make it specific (for instance, the character found an intact historical section, chronicling the whole of human history or a lab at MIT and is really up on bioengineering.).

Another background enhancement I thought of was someone who was of royalty or a ruling family in whatever is decided on the power structure in this "brave, new world".  Spend the points and have access to nicer gear, a solid home base and good contacts.

Also, we talked about it in the section regarding fantasy races, but what do you think of packages in character creation?  Not so much, professions or classes, but a way for someone not interested in designing a character themselves but wants a quick play, easy to make character?
...And now for something completely different.

Jorek

• Contributor
  • Mutant
Re: New feats, enhancements, mutations, etc;
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »

the secret cache sounds good.
the ruling family thing not so sure about, there are player out there (who shall remain nameless) who would try to take advantage of that situation. also why would they ever go adventuring. now maybe if their family was in power and suddenly lost their status would work.
the packages was something i had somewhat done when i created the basher and the pure strain human.. i think that we could do packages and leave say 100 cp or sp left so that a player can have a little choices

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »

Why would they adventure?  The excitement, the adrenaline rush, the chance to see the world, of course :).

I see how it could be abused possibly, as could anything in the game.  Obviously, it would have to be GM controlled or input but could be interesting.

Yeah, I think the packages would make it "sexier" to people looking at it.  Give you the choice to either just jump in or tweak the hell out of your character.  People love having choices.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 02:54:40 PM »

Why would they adventure? becuase they are the third son.. or the unwanted daughter of course :) that also makes it harder for them to "go crying home to mama" when they think they need something.

Maybe we need an entire set of special events ... separte from mutations and abilities (like we have the "Frozen" ability) .... might be interesting... we could open it up to both mutants and humans (and mutant animals )...

That might let us end up with some really interesting combos.. like maybe a Frozen, genetically enhanced, Super Smart Monkey...

And Im all about putting tohether some skill/ability/mutation packages. ...

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »

The amount of choices and combos we can create virtually assures you won't have two characters that are the exact same unless people try to create the same character.

And yeah, that was another reason some rich kid would go tromping around the world.  I guess we're gonna have to nail down the power structure of the world before this one is defined completely.  At least for RP reasons.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 04:09:30 AM »

I was thinking I wanted to make a "Background" section for the initial character generation. For fun, we could make it random, with bonuses (or minuses) depending on what you roll (ala DragonQuest).

I also agree we need to nail down the world mythos first though. Right now its beyond vague :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:25:10 PM by Athion »

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 08:50:51 AM »

Gonna start a new thread regarding background enhancements or disadvantages.  Post some of the ideas I've been having there.  Also, working on some "world mythos" ideas and will share those when I get them ironed out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal