DarkTerra.com

DarkTerra.com

• March 27, 2024, 09:48:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Complete Site redesign. New theme, new software, new Logo! Please register if you want to download the rules!  If you need to email the Admin, click here

Darkterra is a Pen and Paper role playing game, developed by avid gamers with decades of experience with a vast array of gaming systems. The system is fast paced, but realistic, and every single action can be resolved with the rolling of 2 dice. 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Background enhancements/disadvantages  (Read 7782 times)

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
  • Sweet frickin' Orion slave girls!
Background enhancements/disadvantages
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:16 AM »

Here it is.  Working on them right now.  Post what I have come up with in a bit.
...And now for something completely different.

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
Re: Background enhancements/disadvantages
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:59:03 AM »

Here's a short list I've come up with so far.  It's vague regarding game specifics.  Most of these could have differing degrees of severity

Social Pariah/Outcast- this personal is on the outside for very real reasons,  whether it be some socially unacceptable activity or physical deformity.  This person takes a serious hit situational statwise attempting to interact with people.

Former Marauder- this person was a member of a group of marauders who saw the error of his ways and is trying to reform.  Plusses and minuses with this one. 
Plus- they have good combat skills or other skills they could have acquired as a marauder.
Minus- people view this person with either fear or hate or sometimes both.  The character has something that identifies them as member of a specific group (tattoo, brand, physical alteration i.e. like a skinhead or a female who has removed a breast like the all female Amazons.).  Also, most marauder groups are territorial, so former rivals would especially try to kill the character, as well as the characters own former gang, who probably appreciate defections.

Witty- this person has the ability to have someone laugh at the funeral of their own grandmother.  Always quick to have something amusing to say, but not obnoxiously.  They can defuse a tense situation, win people over and generally entertain .  This is more of an RP element.  The person playing this character can't just say "I say something funny", they actually need to say something funny.  Not an enhancement to be taken lightly.  But people will have a hard time not liking you.

Homicidal/Masochist- this person has a hard time reigning in their violent nature.  Violence is usually the only answer and this person has a hard time stopping.  Depending on the level taken will determine the severity.  Could be this character is just extra violent in combat and doesn't believe in taking prisoners or mercy or as bad as this person sneaking off in the night and murdering someone (which your party has nothing to worry about the victim being one of you because the character needs the group...for now).  This person has to make occasional Willpower checks to fight the urge.

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:24:20 PM »

Here are some more:

Survivor- this person was the victim of some horrific event.  Marauder attack, natural disaster, animal attack,etc;  This character has responded in different ways depending on the event, some good, some bad.  Survivor's guilt, phobias, mental problems, irrational focus on venganence, actively hunting the attackers, etc;  The level and specific event and it's effects would need to be worked out.

Live off the Land- this person can "live off the land".  Hunting, herbology, constucting a shelter out of the natural elements, tracking someone or avoiding being tracked themselves, etc;  Must chose a specific  environment, although it could be taken multiple times for different environments. 

Silver tongued- this person is very persuasive.  Very, very persuaive.  Can talk just about anyone into (or out of) anything.  The character receives a boost to their charisma.  The player must make a roll and if successful, they sway the target to the character's way of thinking.  If the roll fails, the target takes a dim view of the character and have a better chance of resisting their charms.  If the character keeps trying and failing on a target, the target may react in a extremely negative way or even go in the opposite direction that the player wanted them to.

More to come...

P.S.- If anyone likes these and has a way to improve them, feel free to interject.  Also, I haven't added a lot of specifics (for example, "Silver Tongued" boosts your Charisma by 10) or anything like that.  I'm just brainstorming, mainly.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:36:12 AM »

Some of these are in the Abilities section (for Pure Humans), or at least ones close :P

Do you guys think we need a CHA (charisma) stat?

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »

Man, I gotta reread the book, I missed alot of this.

I like the idea of charisma stat (though I've rarely played a character who takes advantage of it :P)

Mike, did you get my message about Enigma's?

Jorek

• Contributor
  • Mutant
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

i really don't know about a charisma stat. i think you would have to make it a very important part of the game other wise it will get shorted for other stats.(like is commanly done in other games)

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »

Whelp, it could be utilized where it was an important part of the game. 

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 01:13:21 PM »

I got it.. we'll have to send em to the site :)

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 05:43:33 AM »

Mike, did you get my message about Enigma's?

If my last post wasnt clear, the next time you go up there, give them the URL of the site, and see what they think. I want to try and get some "uncontaminated" (meaning no one explained rules to them already) testers if at all possible.

Also, everyone should feel free to send anyone they talk to that sounds interested here...

Gryffyn

• Contributor
  • Warrior
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:07 AM »

Will do, though I'm not sure when that will be.  Feel free to do so if you beat me too it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal