DarkTerra.com

DarkTerra.com

• March 27, 2024, 09:55:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Complete Site redesign. New theme, new software, new Logo! Please register if you want to download the rules!  If you need to email the Admin, click here

Darkterra is a Pen and Paper role playing game, developed by avid gamers with decades of experience with a vast array of gaming systems. The system is fast paced, but realistic, and every single action can be resolved with the rolling of 2 dice. 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 6402 times)

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
Reloading
« on: October 24, 2006, 04:27:22 AM »

We talked about reloading times/costs the other night... FYI Gil, your weapons would have a reload time (RT) of 1. With your quickdraw ability, you could holster one, reload the other, then switch, reload, and redraw and just be unable to fire for 2 phases...

Here's what I have so far :

Reloading

Most ranged weapons require reloading from time to time. There are several mechanisms for doing this, depending on the weapon. Some guns have clips, or an integral magazine, some have cylinders, some are breech loading, some are bolt action, the list goes on.

In keeping with our philosophy that combat should be fast, and easy to understand, we have included a Reload Time (RT) stat for each ranged weapon in the game. This number is either a whole number, or a number and an another number, separated by a decimal (such as 1.4 or 1.3, or 4.4 or whatever).

The first number is the number of phases required to reload the weapon. During this phase, the character can perform other actions, but BOTH hands must be free to reload. It is possible to reload some weapons one handed, but this requires additional time. The second number is a modifier added to the WS on the round AFTER the gun has been reloaded, for purposes of Initiative.

Example : Erick has a weapon that has a reload time of 2.4. He has fired it dry and now needs to reload. The first round, he is reloading, and simply ducks behind cover to do so… the second round he is still reloading. Finally, on the third round, his gun is considered reloaded (full capacity) and he is free to fire it. He will however have to subtract 4 from his Init to do so.

These rules assume that you are refilling the gun to capacity. Some weapons can be reloaded with fewer rounds in a quicker time frame (revolvers, integral mag weapons, etc.). In this case the speed with which it can be reloaded will be included with the weapon description.

Thoughts? Comments?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:30:58 AM by Athion »

Jorek

• Contributor
  • Mutant
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:27:17 AM »

it is one more stat that you have to keep track of but it does sound good.

Gil

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:28:33 AM »

Just out of curiosity, why is there an init penalty on the round it is useable again since the weapon is already in hand and they have already had a "penalty" of sorts by being out of combat for 2 whole rounds? Seems kind of redundant to me, but overall the Reloading rule looks cool.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:24:42 AM »

my thought process on that was that it wasnt actually done being reloaded... in other words it doesnt take exactly 2 seconds to reload said weapon, it takes 2.4 seconds...

In keeping with the general theme of "speedy easy" combat, that might be more trouble than it's worth though...

I'm ok with keeping reload times in just seconds though.

Thoughts? (I do tend to overcomplicate things if given half a chance :P

Edit - I reread what I wrote and i bungled the original explantion badly... and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of even seconds (or rather full seconds) to reload a weapon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:53:56 AM by Athion »

Gil

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 04:07:35 AM »

Even numbers sound a lot better on the reload times :)

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 05:48:30 AM »

Spoken like a man that prides himself on his Init rolls :P

(in all seriousness, I agree, and I'll make the relevant changes :) )

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »

Ok,, changes made to reloading rules as follows :

Reloading

Most ranged weapons require reloading from time to time. There are several mechanisms for doing this, depending on the weapon. Some guns have clips, or an integral magazine, some have cylinders, some are breech loading, some are bolt action, the list goes on.

In keeping with our philosophy that combat should be fast, and easy to understand, we have included a Reload Time (RT) stat for each ranged weapon in the game. This number is a single whole number, indicating how long (in phases (seconds)) it takes to reload said weapon. Some weapons will have a second column of RT listed, the first being the amount of time it takes to reload the entire weapon, the other, how long it takes to load a single round (in the heat of battle, it might be wiser to only load a single round quickly, than take a few seconds for multiples.

During this phase (or these phases), the character can perform other actions, but BOTH hands must be free to reload. It is possible to reload some weapons one handed, but this requires additional time. The weapon will be available to fire the phase AFTER it has been reloaded.

Example : Erick has a weapon that has a reload time of 2. He has fired it dry and now needs to reload. The first round, he is reloading, and simply ducks behind cover to do so… the second round he is still reloading. Finally, on the third round, his gun is considered reloaded (full capacity) and he is free to fire it.

These rules assume that you are refilling the gun to capacity. Some weapons can be reloaded with fewer rounds in a quicker time frame (revolvers, integral mag weapons, etc.). In this case the speed with which it can be reloaded will be listed in a second RT column.

Revolver type pistols have 2 RTs listed, the first one is if reloading manually, one cylinder at a time. The other assumes the PC has a Speed Loader, and is using it. Speed loaders can also be reloaded in combat (usually by a third party). It takes at least 2 Phases to reload a speed loader. And of course they also have a Per Round RT.

Some situations may require extra time in order to reload a weapon, such as wounds, hands tied, faulty equipment, etc. Obviously we can not cover every reloading situation, so use your common sense and as a general rule, simply add a number of phases to the RT to make it fairly realistic.  If in doubt, have the player pantomime the actions, and time him.

Athion

• Administrator
  • Warrior
    • DarkTerra
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 06:00:23 AM »

Need to go through the rules and make sure Phase is listed when reffering to Combat Turns, and not Rounds...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal